Thursday, December 30, 2010

Relating Movies to Life


Relating Sex and the City:


 

First off, I would like to make clear that I am not a fan of Sex and City but I spent the whole night watching the entire first two seasons with my friend and may I just say… wow. I hope that there aren't a woman out there who do that with whomever they think is attractive or wealthy. I mean what happened to self-control? I'm not saying I didn't like the show, it was witty and Carrie (the main woman) reminded me very much of myself because not only does she have curly hair (like me) writes down what she thinks (like me) but she also questions anything and everything (again, like me). There are two differences between her and me though. First, I do not live in NY or have money growing on plastic trees in an apartment to spend on Gucci shoes. (Even if I did that money would go to others who need it to survive). Second, I do not question the good things in life; if something in your life goes well and makes you happy, let it be.

Now I bet you're wondering how I'm going to relate this to the world – maybe you're not wondering at all but then I'd tell you to use your imagination.


 

Sex and the City > Women having sex willingly > Women being forced to have sex > Exploitation of Women (and men and children) for sex (prostitution)


 

It's a weird connection but, seriously. Some women do not value their freedom or liberty to marry and love who they want and walk down the street without worrying about someone kidnapping them. According to BBC News (British Broadcasting Corporation) The US estimates that between 700,000 and 4m people each year are victims of human trafficking, one of the fastest growing crimes in the world. It disgusts me to think that right now human trafficking is going on and innocent girls of my age or any age will lose their freedom to the profitable world of prostitution.

Also, if you haven't noticed, the trafficking of humans has nothing to do directly with Sex and the City but it's just something for you to think about.


 

(I could've gone into "what's the point of spending two hundred dollars on a pair of heels when instead you can use the money to save lives..." but that's for another blog.


 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2795101.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2783655.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment